As you all know by now, we are constantly looking for ways that we can improve our product and come up with unique methods to make each and every one of our members a better CrossFitter after each time they attend class.
About 6 months ago we started our “Skill of the Month” where we pick a skill to work on each day for an entire month in the hopes that we can make significant progress on one movement at a time and deliver some serious results in 30 days.
This concept has worked extremely well and it really shows in the April our members have had, with 20+ of you making your very first unassisted pistol on both legs!
Starting with May, we’re going to take our skill work up a notch by trying a new Friday class format (every class time, every Friday). The beginning of class will remain the same as always with warm up, skill of the month and mobility. This will be followed by a strength piece (every single one of us could use a little more strength) and then we will reserve the remainder of class for skill work.
We all have skills that we can use improvement on, and we want to give you an opportunity to pick something you want to work on, ask questions and practice on your own.
Now, for a few clarifications about these skill sessions:
- This time should not be spent doing another “WOD” or anything truly taxing unless you’re working on unbroken reps of a certain exercise e.g. pull-ups, double-unders, toes-to-bar, etc.
- You DO NOT need to pick the same skill for the whole month. If there is something you want to specifically improve on and you want to work on it every Friday, that is fine, but if you would like to bounce around and choose something different each week, you can do that as well.
- This is your time to pick our coaches brains and learn all the tips, tricks and technique we have to offer, please utilize it!
- If you are choosing a barbell lift, you will most likely be performing a low number of reps at a fairly low weight. Please remember that this is a skill session, not a time to set PRs. There will be WODs programmed and times set for you to attempt 1, 3 & 5RMs.
- We will do our best to dedicate as much time to each and every one of you as possible, but remember that typically there is only 1 of us present. Spend a few minutes the night before deciding what you’re going to want to work on, watch an instructional video or 2 on youtube to have something to try on your own, and then ask away. We will give you advice, have you try it and then leave you to work on what we’ve given you. We will then periodically check in and make adjustments. Part of the learning process is feeling out repetitions without someone staring at you. Enjoy the process and do your best to feel what works and what doesn’t.
Now, for those of you that don’t know where to start, here is a list of things that we could see you working on during these Friday “Skill Work” sessions. Please don’t feel restricted to these, but keep the clarifications above in mind when choosing a skill:
Pull-ups (strict, kipping, butterfly, banded)
Handstands (wall walks, holds, push ups, walks, headstands)
Clean (squat, power, muscle, pulls, positioning, hang)
Jerk (push, split)
Snatch (squat, power muscle, pulls, positioning, hang)
Muscle-ups (bar muscle-ups)
We’re looking forward to seeing you all continue to grow and get better at all the little parts and pieces of CrossFit. It truly is an all-inclusive sport and being well rounded is one of the biggest challenges presented to us as CrossFit athletes.